?

Log in

Tomato Inversion Step 1 - Sustainable living for beginners and city slickers

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

June 1st, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
jaime88
11:33 am - Tomato Inversion Step 1
I was at the office, where the buckets lids and compost was, so I filled the buckets, put on the lids and took them home. That's where the drill and the hole cutter blades were located.

I had lids with caps, so I removed the caps, and put a piece of landscape cloth on top of the compost, then replaced the lids. Below is a stock photo, but my lids look like this if you filter out the blue. It's properly called, in the industry, a lid with spout.



I drilled the holes:



Then poured in some water, and tucked in a Brandywine tomato start.




They'll hang out in the greenhouse or out in the sun till the starts get established. By which time I'll have gotten around to setting things up at the office so I can suspend them, and add a drip line to each bucket.

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:layer
Date:June 1st, 2009 09:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
this is fantastic. thanks for sharing it.
[User Picture]
From:gigglingwizard
Date:June 2nd, 2009 03:51 am (UTC)
(Link)
This is cool. I don't understand, though, what you mean by "lids with caps." By "lids," I'm guessing you mean the lid that fits onto the top (or here, the bottom) of the bucket. How does a lid have a cap? Isn't that just a different way of saying "a piece that covers the top"...like a lid? Lid=cap? Very confused. Please clarify what's going on in the other end of the bucket.
[User Picture]
From:jayp39
Date:June 2nd, 2009 04:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm also a bit confused by the "lids with caps" remark.

I tried this a couple of years ago, to complete and abject failure. I absolutely could not keep them watered; whatever water I put in the top immediately ran out the bottom. I recently peeked at one of the tomato inversion kits they sell in stores and found how they work around that problem: a sponge.

It's genius: take a sponge, cut a slit so that it will fit around the stem, and put it in below the hole you cut in the bucket. The sponge helps to hold the dirt and whatever water in place so it can't just run out so easily. Wish I'd thought of that!

This year I have a real garden, so I've no real reason to try again, but if I did I'd definitely try the sponge trick.
[User Picture]
From:jaime88
Date:June 2nd, 2009 12:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
please see the edited entry.

the sponge trick sounds cool. I might do that.

I've been putting water in a little bit at a time. Next time I will probably soak the soil in the buckets first, so it's completely damp, then put in the starts.
[User Picture]
From:whichburner
Date:June 4th, 2009 05:43 pm (UTC)

Tom Tom

(Link)
Was looking for something like this. Thanks for the piece.
[User Picture]
From:jaime88
Date:June 5th, 2009 02:45 am (UTC)

Re: Tom Tom

(Link)
I'll post more as they come along. I'm hoping they are ready for hanging before the end of the month. Then I can hang them, and put them on drip as I head out for a week of camping.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com